
MARION, Ohio (Aug. 28 2025) — Marion City Councilman Ayers Ratliff is once again facing felony charges stemming from allegations that he raped a teenage girl. A Marion County grand jury returned a new indictment against him this week, charging the Ward 2 council member with one count each of rape and abduction and three counts of gross sexual imposition. His wife, Heidi Ratliff, was also indicted on two counts of obstructing justice, two counts of endangering children and one count of intimidation of a victim. Prosecutors said the intimidation charge stems from allegations that the victim was subjected to improper pressure after reporting the rape.
Allegations and original indictment
The criminal case began in May 2024 when a 13‑year‑old girl told a friend she had been sexually assaulted at Ratliff’s home. The friend reported it to a school guidance counselor and Marion police were notified. A criminal complaint filed in municipal court alleged that Ratliff raped the girl; he was arrested and a $500,000 bond was set. In August 2024, a grand jury indicted Ratliff on first‑degree rape, fourth‑degree gross sexual imposition and third‑degree unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. Prosecutor Ray Grogan warned the public not to undermine the seriousness of the case, saying the grand jury reviewed the evidence before returning the charges. Investigators obtained physical and electronic evidence while executing a search warrant at Ratliff’s home. Because the allegations involved a city official, the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation assisted, and Grogan emphasized that, as a county prosecutor, he had no conflict of interest.
During pre‑trial hearings, Ratliff’s attorney J.C. Ratliff (his uncle) pressed prosecutors to hand over discovery, accusing them of withholding evidence. Supporters filled the courtroom, claiming the charges were retaliation for Ratliff’s criticism of city government. Prosecutor Grogan argued that, because the victim was a teenager, defense experts should review sensitive photos at the police station rather than receive copies. Both sides agreed to a suppression hearing to address evidentiary disputes, but no trial date was set.
Case dismissed — and a lawsuit filed
On Jan. 29 2025, Judge Matthew Frericks granted the prosecution’s request for nolle prosequi, dismissing the case without prejudice. Prosecutors said they needed more time to investigate new leads and avoid jeopardizing the case with evidence of uncertain credibility. Because the dismissal was without prejudice, the charges could be refiled.
Following the dismissal, Ratliff and his wife filed a civil‑rights lawsuit in July 2025 against Grogan and several assistant prosecutors. The suit alleges false arrest and wrongful imprisonment, malicious prosecution, retaliation, libel and slander, conspiracy and civil‑rights violations. It claims the alleged victim initially denied the abuse during a three‑hour police interview and that investigators pressured her to change her story. The suit seeks more than $25,000 in damages and asserts that Ratliff lost multiple jobs — including positions at H&R Block and the Ohio Harness Horseman’s Association — and was fired as a substitute teacher due to the allegations. It also alleges Heidi was forced to close her day‑care business. The Ratliffs contend the prosecution was politically motivated because Grogan is a Republican and Ratliff is a Democrat.
Grogan dismissed the lawsuit as meritless, saying law enforcement had gathered significant testimony and scientific evidence supporting the allegation that Ratliff raped the 13‑year‑old. The Marion County Now news site reported that the suit names Grogan, assistant prosecutors David Stamolis and Mark Weaver, and several “John Does,” accusing them of false arrest, malicious prosecution and other civil‑rights violations. The site added that Grogan had previously advocated for a $500,000 bond and recorded a video pledging to prosecute Ratliff to the fullest extent, yet the charges were dismissed.
New indictment and charges against Heidi Ratliff
After the civil lawsuit was filed, investigators continued to review the case. In late August 2025, the Marion police and the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation presented new evidence to a grand jury, which returned the second indictment. According to prosecutors, Ayers Ratliff now faces one count each of rape and abduction and three counts of gross sexual imposition. Heidi Ratliff’s indictment accuses her of obstructing justice and endangering children by allegedly interfering with the investigation and of intimidating the victim. Grogan said the new intimidation charge suggests the child was improperly pressured after reporting the rape, and he has asked the court to issue orders to prevent further intimidation. He also stressed that the evidence does not indicate the alleged crimes were related to Ratliff’s public office.
Outlook
With the new indictment, prosecutors will again attempt to bring the case to trial. Ratliff maintains his innocence and asserts the charges are politically motivated. His civil‑rights lawsuit remains pending, and it is unclear how the new criminal case will affect that litigation. No trial date has been set for the latest charges. As with any criminal case, Ratliff is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
